Sunday, November 30, 2008

A special Thanksgiving celebration.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving like I had. It's a bit unusual because I normally spend Thanksgiving with my family. This year, I decided to attend a potluck dinner thrown by a good buddy of mine. Why a potluck dinner for Thanksgiving? Well, for years - my buddy's parents would throw us a party for Thanksgiving. Many of the guys I know either don't have families close by or don't have families at all whom they can go to for Thanksgiving. My buddy's parents always came through. They would gather us all and give us the venue to celebrate the holiday without our families.

My buddy's father recently became ill while they were preparing for this year's Thanksgiving party. When he was at the hospital, my buddy's mom told him that since he is ill, they should cancel this year's Thanksgiving celebration to give him enough time to rest. He said, "Definitely not! I will walk out of this hospital and we will have the party." He died a few days later.

In his memory, all of my friends who have had the pleasure of partaking holiday meals at their home decided to make this a potluck dinner. We still wanted to get together and we wanted to show them our gratitude for all those years they've hosted for us. It was a wonderful celebration and none of my friends even thought twice about it. We shared the meals everyone brought (more than plenty!) and laughed like we normally would. It was special. I'm sure he's up there smiling because that was what he wanted.

Cheers and have a great week!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.