Monday, February 7, 2011

This is personal, and I hope to help raise awareness.

I have a loving and dear family. They are the only ones you really can count on when things go wrong. I don't care what they say but friends can only help you up to a limit. Everyone has their limits on extending their friendships. Families do not. When all things fail, you can count on family.

That is why I'm very close to my folks. I have found their loyalty to me to be proven and tested without a shadow of a doubt. They've accepted me as I am and no one can take that away from me.

In return, I do want to give back to them as well. When tragedy strikes, families bond together. I have a sister who is a breast cancer survivor. She's been cancer-free for over 10 years now. One reason why she is still with us today is due to early detection. People must be made aware on how to look for signs of breast cancer. If not for that, we may have lost her already.

Right after my sister, it was my aunt who was a lot older than my sister who suffered from breast cancer as well. We were afraid what her body can take when it came to chemotherapy and other drugs that go with treating breast cancer. Fortunately, she was also able to fight it with early detection.

If you or someone you know is of high-risk, help them to learn how to sense breast cancer symptoms. Read up on it. The web is filled with resources that they can read and understand in order to practice early detection.

Cancer is no longer the death-threat that it was many many years ago. I have a sister who is a 10-year cancer survivor, an aunt who is an 8-year cancer survivor, and a niece who at the young age of 26 was already diagnosed with breast cancer. She just completed her chemotherapy and we're awaiting for further results.

It's about what you know about the disease that can help you. Help a loved one. Direct them to resources and information that could save their lives. Breast cancer is something that they can beat, if detected early. Find early signs of the disease. The earlier, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.